My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Transitioning from PTA to PT

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Transitioning from PTA to PT Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 10, 2002 6:38:00 PM   
PTA2PT

I am a graduate of a PTA program and I am currently taking classes to get my Bachelor's degree so I can apply to PT school. I would like to hear experiences from any others that have gone the same route. Are there any programs where students are able to work during the week, or are most full time 40hrs a week? I hope to work as a PTA while in graduate school. Any information is appreciated. Thanks in advance,

Jenni
Post #: 1
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 10, 2002 10:24:00 PM   
jma

Hello,
Although I went to PT school and did not follow a PTA to PT route while still going to work, I came across a college that seems to offer what you are asking for.

Please go to the following website: Nueman College at [URL=http://www.nuemann.edu]http://www.nuemann.edu[/URL] (Aston, PA)
or call 1-800-9-NEUMAN

Another school that I heard that also does the same thing is Mercy College in NY.

Mercy College(A3, D4, E5, F3, PR)
Claudia B Fenderson, PT, EdD, PCS
Director and Associate Professor
Physical Therapy Program
Hudson Hall - Offices #102
Mercy College
555 Broadway
Dobbs Ferry, NY 10522
914/674-9331 x 650
Admissions/Student Inquiries: 800/637-2969
Fax: 914/674-9457
E-mail: cfenderson@mercy.edu
More information from The Directory of Accredited Physical Therapy Education Programs

Hope this helps.

JMA

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 2
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 10, 2002 10:30:00 PM   
jma

Hello again,
I didn't know which state you were located in, so I looked up where you were in the profiles listing and saw that you were in Ohio. So I went back to the APTA site and saw this school that also seems to have what you are looking for. Hope this helps even more. See below. Good Luck.

JMA

The University of Findlay(A3, A6, D5, F3, PR)
Lisa Dutton, PT, MS
Program Director
Physical Therapy Program
The University of Findlay
1000 North Main Street
Findlay, OH 45840
419/424-4863
Admissions/Student Inquiries: 419/424-4863
Financial Aid: 419/424-4792
Fax: 419/424-6977
E-mail: dutton@findlay.edu
More information from The Directory of Accredited Physical Therapy Education Programs

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 3
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 12, 2002 7:07:00 PM   
PTA2PT

Hello JMA,

Thanks for all your help. I am familiar with the program in Findlay Ohio, but I am also looking into the DPT programs and seeing if any of them offer the flexibility I would like. I looked in the APTA website, and several university websites, but none of them specify class times/schedules. In the end, I am looking for quality education, but if I can keep working as a PTA, that would be the icing on the cake. Thanks again.

Jenni

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 4
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 12, 2002 10:44:00 PM   
jma

Hello
I see your point. The only other thing that I am aware of, at least in my state of NY, is that transitional DPT's offer that kind of option where you can work but you are already a practicing PT at the same time. It would be nice to see if they offer that same kind of option in your case. Otherwise, I guess it comes down to getting the information about each DPT school in your area sent to you to look at in more detail. I hope this works out for you. Good luck

JMA

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 5
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 12, 2002 11:41:00 PM   
Andrew M. Ball PT PhD

I've not seen David Lehman on the site in a while, but I heard that down where he's Asst. Prof. they were considering a PTA to DPT program, but I don't think it ever got off the ground. Their program format may allow for it, however, give them a call at University of St. Augustine. I'd bet that you could complete a PT degree by going down there several times a year, online courses, and independent study. That said, for your initial clinical degree incorporating evaluation, I think you should go brick and mortar full time.

There is a student at Duke named Dean who is(was?) secretary of the affiliate assembly. In other words, he's a PTA in his 2nd year of a DPT program, and I'm SURE he's researched many, many options before going back to school. Call Jan Richardson at Duke and have her put you in touch with him!

Drew

Drew

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 6
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 13, 2002 3:40:00 PM   
Inspired

In researching nearly the same educational goal as you have presented here, I have been nothing but discouraged. I am in a PTA program, but I'm trying to transfer into a DPT program. Each program I've identified has been a full time effort, whether or not you've completed university cores and prereq's. Try to find a school that truely has a PTA to PT/DPT PROGRAM, rather than transfering cold into any old program. Reason being, all of the schools I've looking into wont transfer my A&P courses because they don't "measure up to the quality of the A&P and Bio courses offered at the university". Let us know how you make out - I'm sure there are others trying to accomplish exactly what you are who can benefit from your experience.

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 7
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 13, 2002 11:55:00 PM   
coloradojulie

I have to say I agree with the A&P issue. Having studied anatomy and physiology first in my undergrad kinese degree (I thought I knew everything) then in my PT degree (realized I didn't know anything). I then taught A&P at the community college level (lecture and lab, the course ran the full year) I realized how little you can teach in one class like that. I wouldn't baulk at that if I were you, because your knowledge of anatomy and function will be your greatest asset as a therapist, and you will be surprised how much more you can learn! I believe that a good practitioner is someone who realizes how little they know, not thinks how little they have left to learn.

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 8
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 14, 2002 2:48:00 PM   
Inspired

I don't baulk at that at all, in fact I would like to see more A&P requirements at my college. It bothers me to see how little they taught, how briefly they skim the surface of what there is to know. What I meant by my statement is don?t waste time on the "lesser quality" A&P (and other subjects as well) courses if you intend to go further. I've never had the attitude that I know everything; I'm quite a humble student to be honest. Sorry if I came off sounding any different.

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 9
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - November 16, 2002 6:05:00 PM   
PTA2PT

Thanks for all your helpful comments once again. It's nice to know I am not the only one with the same goal of becoming PT after obtaining PTA degree. I am just very surprised how hard it is to go from PTA to PT the way most MPT and DPT programs are structured. I find it to be a very natural transition, but schools don't always see it that way. As far as the A&P issue is concerned, I am not sure why my A&P classes would not transfer, they were accepted as part of my Bachelor's degree. One of my classmates in PTA school also took A&P at a 4-year college and both classes studied from the same book and we went into greater detail in PTA school. This might be just my personal experience, but I thought that the requirement for PT school is general A&P and during PT school the classes go into greater detail as it pertains to PTs.

Thanks for the info Drew, I will definately get in touch with the person you mentioned. I figured since I am still in the beginning stages of researching all the programs, there must be others who have found their way to PT degree from where I am today. Thanks guys.

Jenni

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 10
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - January 16, 2003 10:59:00 PM   
swoodard23

We have two PTA's in my class. Both of the students find the curriculum very challenging. In fact, one has chosen to do the two year program in three years to spread it out more. I would suggest taking it full time. Both of them have stated that the PT courses are much more in-depth then anything they encountered in PTA school. They have benefitted from their patient/client knowledge but academically are very pleased with the amount of info they are learning. I would recommend focusing on the academics.

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 11
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - January 25, 2003 8:19:00 PM   
PTA2PT

Swoodard23: What school are you attending? I have been in search for schools that accept PTA students, but it has been hard to find that info. I am less than a year away from my Bachelor's degree, so search for schools is on for me. I am definately going to focus on my academics and expect it to be a challenge, but just like going through PTA school, I do need to work somewhat. I worked as a rehab aide before and found the PT environment complimentary to my education in the class room. Thanks for your posting.

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 12
Re: Transitioning from PTA to PT - January 27, 2003 10:28:00 PM   
swoodard23

Any PT school should accept PTA students provided you have the prereqs. I go to Southwest Texas State and highly recommend it. I have really enjoyed my experiences there so far. We are down to half days now but many of us are starting our directed clinicals this semester. The first summer and fall are pretty much a full time deal. Some people worked but their hours were real short and in the evenings. I wish you luck in whatever you decide.
Scott

(in reply to PTA2PT)
Post #: 13
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Transitioning from PTA to PT Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search