My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

Deciding which school to attend

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Deciding which school to attend Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
Deciding which school to attend - February 26, 2002 11:06:00 PM   
JenL

I have been accepted to 3 schools in New York. NYIT, Stonybrook University and Hunter College. Any input? I can't decide where to go!

Thanks a lot!
Post #: 1
Re: Deciding which school to attend - February 27, 2002 12:36:00 PM   
jma

Hello,
Congradulations on your acceptance to PT school! I guess one main difference between them is that NYIT and Hunter offer Masters' Programs, and Stonybrook is offering a Doctoral program as of last year. I was accepted to Hunter and NYIT but at the time, Hunter was still a Bacehlor's program. So I went to NYIT instead. Hunter is in Manhatten and NYIT and Stonybrook are in Long Island just to compare locations. Stonybrook is the farthest of the three.
NYIT was a new program than not too many people knew about because it was not accredited yet. We got accredited last year and now we are on the map with the rest of the schools in New York. Personally, I wanted to get away from the city and I enjoyed it ever since. Nice campus and faculty. I graduated Dec 2001 and I'm glad I went there. If you have the time and wheels, go visit all three and see what they offer. Just a site visit may make the difference in your decision. I can only talk about my school since I went there. Hope this helped.

JMA

(in reply to JenL)
Post #: 2
Re: Deciding which school to attend - February 27, 2002 12:43:00 PM   
Andrew M. Ball MS MBA PT

Consider what you want to do in physical therapy, and who on the faculty can help you achieve your goals. You may find that you have a difficult choice. On the other hand, you may find that the only thing that moves you about any of these schools is that they are all in New York State.

With the push toward the DPT and tDPT, I'm not sure that it makes any sense not to go to a DPT program, unless you either can't afford to go to one of the private schools where most are housed, or plan to spend about $7000 or so to take the PTEP, develop a gap portolio (which hopefully wouldn't have any gaps other than maybe differential diagnosis and radiographic imaging) for an online program within a year of practice.

You WILL have to get a DPT eventually to remain competative, if you've gotten into a DPT program, I wouldn't suggest wasting time with an MPT program unless it's a current financial problem.

I can only speak to Pediatrics, but for my money, Karen Nolan and Kathy Schlough (I hope I spelled that correctly) are among the best educators in the state for pediatrics.

Drew

[This message has been edited by Andrew M. Ball MS MBA PT (edited February 27, 2002).]

(in reply to JenL)
Post #: 3
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Students >> Deciding which school to attend Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search