Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Pediatrics >> PTA Supervision Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
PTA Supervision - March 25, 2002 2:19:00 AM   
PT Lady

What would be considered adequate PTA supervison in an Early Intervention Program providing home PT services? My state does not have any specific guide lines other than "periodic." Both PT and PTA must hold a special credenial provided by the state to provide EI services. Clients are generally seen 2-4 times per month. After evaluation the care plan is reviewed with the PTA. The PTA will then see the client as outlined in care plan. The PT is in phone contact 2-5 times per week with given PTA(s) and is more often tan not available during the course of the day via phone. PT will then see child usually one additional time during a 6 month period aside from the 6 month re-assessment visit. PT does however, see child additionally at request of family, PTA or if during phone conversations it is felt that PTA needs more guidance. Notes are also reviewed on a regular basis.
Thank you for your advice.
Post #: 1
Re: PTA Supervision - March 25, 2002 9:39:00 AM   
Andrew M. Ball MS MBA PT

Kids change and develop so quickly and dramatically during "developmental spurts" or "critical windows," that personally, I'd want to see a child more than once every 6 so as to evaluate and update thier program more frequently than once every 6 months.

Examination by a PTA is helpful (e.g. collecting data necessary to fill out a formal assessment tool), but that is no substitute for PT evaluation. PTA's are simply not trained that way --- though many I've worked with have excellent eyes for examination.

Back when I had the luxury of PTA at a UCP in Rochester, NY (Snezena - if you're out there, you were the BEST!) Most 3rd party pay sources requiref PT visits at least once every 10 sessions, but because we worked in the same building, I typically saw children more often than that --- and updated treatment programs once every 4 weeks or so.

For the above reasons, I'd therefore suggest PT visit at least once every 10 visits unless state law, clinical caseload, or 3rd party pay sources demand more.

Drew

(in reply to PT Lady)
Post #: 2
Re: PTA Supervision - March 25, 2002 9:39:00 AM   
Andrew M. Ball MS MBA PT

Kids change and develop so quickly and dramatically during "developmental spurts" or "critical windows," that personally, I'd want to see a child more than once every 6 so as to evaluate and update thier program more frequently than once every 6 months.

Examination by a PTA is helpful (e.g. collecting data necessary to fill out a formal assessment tool), but that is no substitute for PT evaluation. PTA's are simply not trained that way --- though many I've worked with have excellent eyes for examination.

Back when I had the luxury of PTA at a UCP in Rochester, NY (Snezena - if you're out there, you were the BEST!) Most 3rd party pay sources requiref PT visits at least once every 10 sessions, but because we worked in the same building, I typically saw children more often than that --- and updated treatment programs once every 4 weeks or so.

For the above reasons, I'd therefore suggest PT visit at least once every 10 visits unless state law, clinical caseload, or 3rd party pay sources demand more.

Drew

(in reply to PT Lady)
Post #: 3
RE: Re: PTA Supervision - May 26, 2008 9:27:16 PM   
PT4TOTS

Hi Drew,
I noticed that you were based out of NC. What are the requirements for supervision of PTA's in a home based early intervention setting in NC?

(in reply to Andrew M. Ball MS MBA PT)
Post #: 4
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Pediatrics >> PTA Supervision Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote