My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

RE: Certification Programs

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> RE: Certification Programs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
RE: Certification Programs - July 26, 2007 1:42:55 PM   
FLAOrthoPT

Lol! Paris "pulls from a variety of schools"

not to rain on your parade, because I do want to congratulate you on your accomplishment, and feel that by going through that you are far more advanced than the average therapist, but don't for a minute think paris brings in many schools of thoughts.

(in reply to ROOSA)
Post #: 21
RE: Certification Programs - July 26, 2007 2:41:33 PM   
jlharris

Regis has a "distance" learning Manual Fellowship as mentioned before.  Here is the link http://www.regis.edu/rh.asp?page=study.fellowship

On a tangent, I'd like to chime in on the "safe to manipulate" discussion.  I second the statement that there is NO EVIDENCE that novice PT's are unsafe to manipulate without having to "work up to it".  Not to put words in their mouth, but the current leaders in manip for treatment (evidence based) - Childs, Cleland, Flynn, etc - most likely feel it is for the novice and the "master" clinician alike. 

Does it take practice to improve patient confort and your proficency?  You bet.  But one doesn't need 5 "warm up" classes to reach the level of being "safe" or effective with manipulation.

Note:  I don't perform Cx manip and therefore my statemtents pertain to thoracic and lumbar manip only.

Jason L. Harris, PT, DPT
My PT Blog

(in reply to FLAOrthoPT)
Post #: 22
RE: Certification Programs - October 12, 2007 3:16:10 PM   
smithcove

Is OCS specific to a certain school or is it a broad term, covering any manual cetification?

(in reply to ROOSA)
Post #: 23
RE: Certification Programs - October 12, 2007 3:52:45 PM   
orthotherapist

OCS is the orthopedic certification thru the APTA.  Specific to a test that must be passed given by the APTA

(in reply to smithcove)
Post #: 24
RE: Certification Programs - October 26, 2007 4:31:49 AM   
alodato

I am both certified in the McKenzie system and NAIOMT system.  They both have pros and cons.  McKenzie pros:  I think their basis for exercise, progression and critical thinking is simple and very scientific.  McKenzie cons:  Manual therapy techniques are a little difficult to perform (especially for the c/spine) and a little too generalized. 
NAIOMT pros:  extremely eclectic system that involved thoughts, theories and such from many different points of view.  Their attention to safety is very good as is their evaluation forms.  cons:  a little too much reliability on palpation-based segmental movement.  Evidence on that is a little sketchy.

(in reply to JLS_PT_OCS)
Post #: 25
RE: Certification Programs - October 30, 2007 5:19:05 PM   
ptim

Alodato
I'm confused as to your statement that the 'Mckenzie' manual techniques are a little difficult to perform and are a little too generalized.
Can you elaborate on this?

(in reply to alodato)
Post #: 26
Page:   <<   < prev  1 [2]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> RE: Certification Programs Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search