My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - November 26, 2004 12:24:00 PM   
yahyai ma

please, what do you think of SLR excercises for patients with lumbar decompression surgeries?
thank you

raheeb boy
Post #: 1
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - November 28, 2004 9:28:00 AM   
FLAOrthoPT

supine, seated, weight, no weight, high reps low reps, used as neural glides or as strengthening? more specicfic please..

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 2
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - November 28, 2004 1:06:00 PM   
yahyai ma

I mean auto asissted SLR exc's!!!

raheeb boy

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 3
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - November 28, 2004 1:49:00 PM   
FLAOrthoPT

see above post

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 4
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - February 1, 2005 12:25:00 AM   
fconijn

Yahyai Ma,

FLAOrthoPT is right: indiscriminately applying SLR techniques postoperatively will do no good, as [URL=http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?cmd=Retrieve&db=pubmed&dopt=Abstract&list_uids=11740347]Scrimshaw & Maher[/URL] found. (The authors applied the SLR technique.)

This means that an adaptation of the technique and/or a further identification of the cases in which the technique/neural mobilization would be useful, is necessary.

The McKenzie method (of all methods, I have by far the best results with that method) has a way of determining whether neural mobilization/SLR techniques should be applied postoperatively, but that it is too complicated to describe here.

Regards, and good luck,
Frank J.J. Conijn, PT
Editor, Physical Therapist's Literature Update
The Internet Journal of Scientific-Literature Updates on Orthopaedic Medicine & Rehabilitation and Manual Therapy
Visit our [URL=http://www.ptlitup.nl]home page[/URL] or [URL=http://www.ptlitup.nl/dlinks/p=subscribe.html]subscribe directly[/URL] to our free monthly issues

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 5
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - February 18, 2005 3:56:00 AM   
michaelshacklock

Participants in this chat line might be interested in the point that, in Scrimshaw and Maher's study, the mean SLR for the patients who were treated with SLR post-op fell within the normal range for an asymptomatic population, prior to the surgery. The study therefore showed that mobilization of the SLR of normal ROM is not likely to produce an improvement! Also, they did not separate adequately those with normal and abnormal SLR prior to surgery (or after for that matter) in terms of symptom response (ie. overt abnormal, covert abnormal etc).

Michael

Michael Shacklock
MAppSc, DipPhysio
Director
Neurodynamic Solutions (NDS)
6th floor,, 118 King William Street
Adelaide 5000, AUSTRALIA

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 6
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - February 18, 2005 5:25:00 AM   
nari

I worked with post-surgical lamis and discectomies and fusions and whatever for 11 years-and consider the ordinary SLR manouvre of no real value. What are the aims of doing this?

Can you explain auto-assist, Yahyai Ma?
Neural mobilisation can be useful, but not as an active SLR - until stabilisation of the pelvis can be guaranteed. A seated SLR may be helpful, once it is established that it is done correctly.
Most patients will not extend the knee fully unless supervised well, and all that works is psoas with the pelvis flapping around.

I found McKenzie very useful, for those in ongoing pain, even if all they did was prone lying with some PKB, again with pelvic control taught. Also TransAb training, although that is a bit controversial.

Nari

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 7
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - August 22, 2005 4:23:00 AM   
goodlooks58

Nari: Can you suggest some books/info for the best post-op lumbar rehab? Thanks

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 8
Re: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - August 22, 2005 5:21:00 AM   
nari

Hi goodlooks

We developed our own protocols, waved them past the surgeons and they OKd them - mostly, except for one who believed physical therapy was of no benefit. Unfortunately, I saw these patients only in the acute setting, and they were sometimes referred to physio in the hospital; but there were so many the dept could not handle all of them.
I am now out of date with the precise protocols used now (and have been updated a lot) as I left the area over 3 years ago.
But McKenzie seemed to work well, often diminishing post-op pain (or unaltered pain from pre-op, which was common). Also TA education, although in the four or five days they were in hospital were never enough to properly train TA.
Mobilisation was encouraged within 24 hours, with independence in basic functions. I never allowed any sort of walking aid, unless the patient was elderly and/or had motor deficits.

I think mobility facilitation is the most important; many patients feel they will fall apart if they walk too much. There is very little written on post-op protocols; each hospital seems to develop their own. Sitting for more than 20-30 mins should be avoided. Breathing control is also very useful as breath holding and hyperventilation often occured. The worst ones were the young males - they had a habit of passing out once vertical.

Think of mobilising the spine (not passively), reduce fear with education, and they mostly look after themselves. Of course, check with the surgeon's op notes if they have special requests - eg rest in bed 36-48 hours post-dural nicking.

Sorry I can't help much with rehab down the line, as I am not familiar enough with ongoing rehab processes.

Nari

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 9
RE: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - July 13, 2007 3:01:42 PM   
taiPro47

isn't that CLR a cleaning liquid?

(in reply to yahyai ma)
Post #: 10
RE: SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY - July 14, 2007 12:00:25 PM   
KAK

Yahyai ma,
Years ago we had a neurosurgeon that sent post surgery (laminectomy) patients home with a pulley system to allow them to do frequent self passive SLR to avoid nerve root adhesions.  I thought it was a great idea.  Of course I think some thoughtfulness and evaluation of the response and appropriateness for each patient would be indicated.

(in reply to taiPro47)
Post #: 11
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Manual Therapy >> SLR EXCERCISES FOR LUMBAR SURGERY Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search