My Forums 
Search
  FAQ  Log Out
Follow @RehabEdge

tone, spasticity, rigidity: define, measure, relate, and equate

Logged in as: Guest
Users viewing this topic: none
  Printable Version
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Neurology >> tone, spasticity, rigidity: define, measure, relate, and equate Page: [1]
Login
Message << Older Topic   Newer Topic >>
tone, spasticity, rigidity: define, measure, relate, a... - January 19, 2001 2:06:00 PM   
David

Recently, Dr. Chuck Leonard commented on the myotonometer and the measurement of spasticity. This brought up a question within the Neuro team here at USAHS about possibly doing some research on the usefulness, validity (of the myotonometer) in assessing rigidity in people with Parkinson?s disease. In our meeting to discuss this matter, it was evident that there is confusion and ambiguity within our profession about the topics of tone, spasticity, and rigidity. I volunteered to pose some of our questions to the NeuroPT listserve, in order to see what clinicians and researchers had to offer.

1. What is rigidity? And how does one differentiate between rigidity and tone and spasticity?
2. Are the mechanisms for rigidity similar to those for hypertonicity or spasticity?
3. Do we have a consensus on the definition of rigidity?
4. Is the clinical definition the same or different than what is used in research?
5. How is rigidity measured?
6. How does rigidity relate to function?

Thanks for your input!

David A. Lehman, MS, PT
Assistant Professor
University of St. Augustine for Health Sciences
1 University Blvd.
St. Augustine, FL 32086
(904) 826-0084 ext. 227
DALehman@usa.edu
Post #: 1
Page:   [1]
All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Neurology >> tone, spasticity, rigidity: define, measure, relate, and equate Page: [1]
Jump to:

New Messages No New Messages
Hot Topic w/ New Messages Hot Topic w/o New Messages
Locked w/ New Messages Locked w/o New Messages
 Post New Thread
 Reply to Message
 Post New Poll
 Submit Vote
 Delete My Own Post
 Delete My Own Thread
 Rate Posts

Google Custom Search