Stroke Rehab (Full Version)

All Forums >> [RehabEdge Forum] >> Neurology


Rose -> Stroke Rehab (January 12, 2001 9:51:00 PM)

ARe there any websites for therapists with specific stroke treatment information ? I have subscribed to the neuro forum but am looking for any specific sites on this topic. Thanks !!!

harleymemaw -> Re: Stroke Rehab (January 17, 2001 6:58:00 PM)

may I ask if you are taking care of a person that has had a stroke? My mom had a major stroke on Feb. 26, 2000 and I am now her primary caregiver. I, myself am looking for someone that is possibly taking care of someone in the same situation. My mom's right side is completely paralysed, she has lost her speech, she has expressive asphashia, and found out just today that because of her right arm being paralysed, her shoulder has now become dislocated!!
anyway, just wanting to know if you are in the same situation as me.. thks/

Rose -> Re: Stroke Rehab (January 18, 2001 7:26:00 PM)

No, I am a Physical Therapist. I completely understand your situation. Have you been trained by a Physical Therapist in caring for your mother at home ? Have you been trained in the proper way to move her and position her in her bed and her chair ? Good family instruction is critical. If you have not I strongly suggest you contact her physician and have him/her order a therapist for an evaluation in your home. If her shoulder is dislocated or subluxed you still need to get a therapist to see her. Insist upon it.

harleymemaw -> Re: Stroke Rehab (January 18, 2001 8:08:00 PM)

I took over my mom's physical, speech, and occupational therapy within 2 months after her stroke. So to be honest, I don't feel I was trained properly. However, she now has gone back to medicare insurance with a supplement since the beginning of this year. I have an appointment this Monday with a speech and physical therapist in hopes to get my mom the help she needs. Thanks for your reply. Meanwhile any suggestions what I can do for my mom's arm to get it to go back in place??? thks

NASJPT22 -> Re: Stroke Rehab (February 6, 2001 11:34:00 AM)

@HARLEYMAMAW: I don't think you are allowed to do some mobilization exercise for your Mom. You really need to see a Physiotherapist to do it for your Mom. Because if you'll do by yourself you may cause more harm to your patient. What I'd like to davise you is to have a Bobath sling for your Mom's shoulder & put it on whenever she sits down or stand up. This will avoid further dislocation of your Mom's shoulder.

mptgator -> Re: Stroke Rehab (April 24, 2001 10:06:00 PM)

it may appear that immobilization in a sling is appropriate, however consider deliterious effects of this position. previous listserv topic discussed taping to e-stem, all superficial approaches. consider thorough evaluation of costals, thoracic/lumbar spine and tone in shoulder girdle... SNS, pelvic mobility and trunk control. complicated problem. avoid conclusions and seek an experienced team approach.

Page: [1]

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.5.5 Unicode